Mission Statement: To demonstrate Christ's character, make known His Salvation and provide nurture
History of The Haven Seventh-day Adventist Church in Nelson:
In 1917, he left Nelson and a group of 44 believers. Gradually, these people left Riwaka due to ‘The Depression'.
In 1929 Robert Grieve came to Nelson. He went door to door in his ministry and before long had 36 members. He was later joined by Aubrey Mitchell. Meetings were held in various homes on Sabbath and during the week.
Saturday, 2nd August 1930, the first Seventh-day Adventist Church in Collingwood Street was opened with the Celebration of Ordinances. The following day, the church was dedicated by Pastor H E Piper, President, South NZ Conference.
The land was donated by Martha Mitchell. Over the years, the membership increased and finally it was time to leave the ‘Little Church'.
On the 21st October 1967, the new (current) church building was officially opened and dedicated by Pastor W Richards, President, Trans Tasman Union Conference.
The Haven is celebrating her 40th-year serving the community.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church is a global network of over 18 million members located in 208 countries across the world.
We also operate schools, hospitals and development and relief agencies as we believe in not only caring for the spirtual needs but also the social and physical needs of the community.